Medu vada is like fluffy donnut like snacks, which are originated in India. It is South Indian cuisine and very popular in the streets of India.
Medu vada is made in every home in south India and also eaten in other parts.
It has very tasty fluffy, crispy texture and specially served with sambhar (curry) with makes good combination.
lets see how i made this yummy treat for snacks.
- 2 cups urad dal (husked & split black gram)
- 1/2 tbsp cumin seeds
- 4 curry leaves finely copped (curry patta)
- 1 medium onion chopped (pyaj)
- pinch of ginger chopped (adrak) / optional
- 1 or 2 green chilly chopped
- 4 tbsp chopped or grated coconut (kisa hua nariyal)
- 3 tbsp chopped carrot (gajar)
- 2 tbsp fresh coriander leaves (hara dhaniya)
- salt as needed
- oil to deep fry
- some water if needed to grind the batter
How to make medu vadai batter
1. Soak urad Dal for overnight or for 5 hours in a deep bowl (husked split black gram)
2. Grind the soaked dal to a smooth batter with little water as needed.
3. If the batter becomes watery then add some add semolina (rava) into it, to maintain the consistency.
4. Add the other ingredients in the batter except oil.
5. In a bowl take water and apply some water from the bowl on both your hands take some batter in your hand from the bowl and give it a round shape to it.
6. Now with your thumb make hole in the center, like donnut.